Thursday, August 25, 2011

Earthquake!!!

Tuesday afternoon I laid Emily down for her nap and sat down to have my quiet time.  I almost always have my quiet time as soon as I lay her down for her nap b/c I'm never sure exactly how long she will sleep.  I've decided house chores can wait....e-mails can wait...phone calls can wait....my relationship with the Lord really is the most important thing to me.  Anyway, I could hear Emily through the monitor talking to herself, but she sounded like she was getting closer to going to sleep.

All of the sudden the chair I was sitting in started vibrating.  I looked around and JUMPED up!  I ran to the kitchen to see what was making a noise in there and realized the tea kettle was shaking back and forth.  Then I ran back into the living room and realized then that EVERYTHING was shaking.  I ran back to Emily's room and grabbed her out of the crib.  (She was a little confused I think, but quite pleased that she was getting up!)  We ran outside our apartment and found LOTS of our neighbors already outside talking about the tremors from the earthquake we were feeling.  It actually made me feel a lot better that other people were feeling the same thing I was.  I've definitely never experienced any kind of earthquake, and I wasn't quite sure what was going on.

After realizing that all was well we came back inside to call Bert.  He had felt the earthquake down in Raleigh too.  To Emily's dismay she had to go back to her crib and I started my quiet time again. As I was sitting there (trying to settle down from all the excitement) I was struck with just how BIG and POWERFUL and WORTHY our God is.  There was an earthquake in VA that people felt from NY to Atlanta.  Crazy!  It just made me realize how small I am and how big he is.  I need a daily reminder of that truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment