Sunday, April 17, 2016

Emily's 6th and My 33rd

What better way to kick off your birthday week than with an ice cream cake?!  We decided that my mom would get a different cake for us this year for our birthday dinner on Friday night, but I was not about to let my birthday slip by without getting an ice cream cake, so I decided we would just go get one on Monday and enjoy it all week.  And that's just what we did.  


Emily and I had a great birthday week and felt very loved the entire week.  On Thursday (my birthday) Bert went by Ingles on the way home for lunch and bought me an Ingles salad.  I LOVE salad and especially an Ingles salad....they have the best salad bar, but I definitely can't do it often because it is quite pricey the way I load up my salad.  It was a fun birthday surprise.  Then Bert and the girls went in the office after he got home from work that afternoon and they worked so hard on making cards for me.  After dinner they gave me their gifts and cards.  It was a fun night! They made me smile over and over!  

Emily was so excited about her birthday falling on a school day so that she could celebrate with her friends on her actual day.  On Friday Bert went to school and ate lunch with her and then I took strawberry cupcakes to her class that afternoon.  In the picture below she was listening to her friends and teachers sing happy birthday! 


She wanted to wear a "dress from her closet" (also known as a church dress), she wanted her hair in a pony tail, and had a specific bow picked out for her birthday at school.  


The other day she wrote a word that had a p-h in it.  I was surprised that she had spelled it correctly because the word made the "f" sound.  I told her I was impressed and asked her how she knew how to spell that particular word.  She shrugged and said "Sophia has a p-h in her name it makes the same sound."  We love having a little reader.  

Emily with her friend Sophia.  



Emily loves that our birthdays are so close together.  She's tells everyone that we have "twin birthdays!!"  She was so excited about having a joint family party this year and said a couple times "We've never had a birthday party together, Mama!!"   

Here's our little 6 year old.  



It's gone by so fast, but it's so fun having a 6 year old!  I love this new phase.  

We played some fun games during the party.  One of the games was a nature scavenger hunt.  Emily and I were on a team, Papa Stan and Hannah, and Bert and Claire.  The birthday girls won this game, although Bert thought we were a little too liberal in a few of our picks (for example, the scavenger hunt sheet said to find a pine cone and we couldn't so we used a sweet gum ball instead). Ha...he was probably right.:)  


We also played "Mother May I" and Freeze Tag. We had a great time!  

This is what Abby did during a lot the party.  She was out.  


We had such a yummy dinner provided by Mimi and Papa Stan!  Bert was the grill master and our salmon was unbelievable, although our kids didn't totally appreciate it.  Bert and I decided next time we'd get salmon for us and get them hotdogs.  Win, win for everyone.  

After dinner we opened some presents and Emily had help from her sisters as usual.  Her number one request this year was chewing gum. She didn't even specify what kind.  We definitely made that happen along with a few other "bigger" items.  


Abby decided to wake up and join in the fun.  Cutie.


This was the yummy cake that Mimi had made for us... I think it's called a "Reece's Peanut Butter Explosion"!  I may not have the name exactly right but you get the idea....it was as good as it looks!  




Birthday party people.  


It was a small and low key family party, but that's kind of what you need when you have a 5-week-old.  It was perfect for us.  Emily and I both felt very loved and celebrated!!  I love sharing a birthday week with you, Emmy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment