Friday, September 23, 2016

These Days

A couple weeks ago Bert set up the sprinkler and let the kids run around for awhile one afternoon. We've been trying to get in a few more summer activities before this summer closes out, and you better believe that Abby will absolutely be right in mix next summer.  


The Friday before Labor day we went down to Toccoa about lunch so that Bert could spend the afternoon helping my dad lay sod in their front yard.  

Here is a picture of Mimi and the littles watching all the action outside.  


This girl was such a huge help!  Bert said that she helped basically all afternoon without complaining or wanting to stop.  We were proud of her.  


Jacob got there after naps and they enjoyed helping together with a little playing thrown in.  


I mentioned in another post that we moved Emily into Hannah and Claire's room.  It's going really well so far.  We're eventually going to put up bunk beds, but we're happy with the arrangement for now.  


Sweet girls!  


About a week after Emily started 1st grade we were having dinner one night and she said "We saw the adorable kindergartners today.  They were so cute!  They are this tall (holding up her hand level with her waist to show us how tall they were)."  Apparently she feels older and taller than she really is.  :) 

Daddy got his girls to help him wash the van last weekend.  They had fun!  


My baby's getting big.  



Several weeks ago we started having a Family Bible Time each night that we are home together.  Bert reads a Bible story and then we usually sing a song and pray together.  It's not long, but we all enjoy it and it's a great way to end the day!  


Our fall activities are back in full swing!  Emily and Hannah both started dance class.  Their classes are back to back on Monday evening...Hannah, then Emily.  Emily's usually able to get most of her homework for the week done while Hannah's in class and then we just have a late supper.  Our church's AWANA program has started back for the kids on Wednesday nights.  Emily is in Sparks and Hannah's in Cubbies and they're both having such a great time, learning so much, and making new friends.  We're so thankful for their teachers and their investment in our girls' lives.   

Emily had her first school project due last week.  It was a timeline of her life.  She did a great job on it!  


"Wacky Wednesday"  was for sure a highlight of her week.  She is showing you her colorful nails in the picture below.  


She was especially proud of her wacky hair. 


Claire and I are enjoying our mornings together when E and H are at school and A is napping.  It's feeling so great outside in the mornings we can't help but spend time out there.  


Walked in the kitchen to find Hannah attacking Abby with a kiss.  Abs doesn't seem to mind. 


One night a few weeks ago Claire woke up in the middle of the night and as I was walking her back to bed I noticed the playroom light on.  I was surprised because Bert turns off lights and locks doors when we go to bed each night and he pretty much never misses one.  He makes jokes often about me leaving too many lights on throughout the day/evening (I like light), so the next morning I made sure to mention to him that he forgot to turn off the playroom light the night before.  He said he did not forget, but mentioned that a few nights before when he had gone to bed before me (one of about 5 times in our marriage....we like to go to bed at the same time) that I had left the playroom and kitchen light on that night.  I told him I did not, and that's when I realized that one of our kids was getting up in the middle of the night.  It was either Emily or Hannah as Claire can't yet reach the light switch and Abby can't yet walk or reach the switch.  My first guess was definitely Hannah.  I asked her if she was getting up in the middle of the night and turning on lights and she smiled sheepishly and said "yes, I was scared."  It made Bert and I laugh that we both thought it was the other and it was Hannah Beth all along.  Stinker.:)  

One of our kids was scared of the vacuum, and I can't remember which one, but Abby is definitely not scared.  She is attracted to it like a magnet.  She chases it around the room and wants to touch it, which makes vacuuming a slow process.  


I've been wanting a new kitchen table for awhile now.  The one we had was a small square table and we couldn't all fit around it without one of us having to sit on the corner and put our legs around the leg of the table.  I found this round pedestal table at a Greenville consignment sale that I went to in August.  I was soooo excited!  It was a great price, came with 6 chairs and has a leaf that we can put in when needed. Sitting around the dinner table with my family is my favorite time of my day most every day. I know it's a small thing, but I'm thankful for this table and I pray that we have many God honoring conversations around it.  


One day last week Bert and I were getting the big girls ready for bed and had left Abby in the living room floor with some toys.  When Bert popped his head back in to check on her he found her like this. She's started pulling up on things (couch, exersancer, chair ) by herself the same week she started crawling. I don't think she's going to be satisfied crawling for long.  



Claire is really enunciating a few of her words these days.  She says Aa-B-Gail and Em-ma-lee and it's the cutest!  She also calls a quesadilla a "case-of-dea" which makes me smile.  If she says something and you don't quite understand her, best of luck to you if you try repeating the word back to her!  She's got very little tolerance for not being understood and will get mad the first time you repeat back the wrong word. Ha!  It is soooo hard not to laugh when she grunts/growls in frustration at your misunderstanding.  She's a feisty little thing for sure.  

Just look at this sweet face.   Good gracious they change so much in the first year.  


A couple weeks ago Emily and I went to an event at her school and I met another mom while I was there. While we were watching our kids play on the playground she asked if I have any other kids and I told her I have 4 and Emily's my oldest.  I wish I could have taken a picture of her facial expression. She said "THAT's your oldest?" while pointing to Emily. It made me chuckle, but I understand. Emily did look little running around on that playground.  And she is little.  Sometimes I forget, but it was a good reminder to me that they are all FOUR so little still. Some days feel so long, but it's not hard to see that the years are flying by.  And I may be relieved to get everyone tucked into bed at night, but I love having our kids so close in age, and I'm loving the little years.  They're for sure going to go by too fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment