Monday, December 17, 2012

5 Years

Five years ago this past Saturday I married Bert.  Aside from trusting in Christ, marrying him was the best decision I've ever made.  He has loved me, protected me, provided for me, laughed with me, served me, calmed me, stood by me, talked and talked to me, and continued pushing me closer to Him.  I always prayed that my future husband would love Jesus more than he loves me.  I could never doubt Bert's love and devotion to me, but I am so thankful he loves Jesus more.

The past five years have been full.  We've lived in 3 states and 4 different houses in five years....in one of those houses (it was really an apartment, but we called it our house) we lived for 4 years.  Three times we rejoiced with the news that we would welcome a sweet baby into our family.  We witnessed the miracle of birth twice....and it is a miracle.  With tears pouring down our face, we found out we wouldn't get to hold our third child while on this earth...our sweet baby is in heaven.  Bert started and graduated from Southeastern with his MDiv.  We've had a nephew and two nieces born.  We lost my Nanie and Bert's Pawpaw....both to pancreatic cancer.  Last night we watched our wedding video and I got tears in my eyes every time Nanie came on the screen.  I miss her.  We also lost Bert's grandmother.  We bought our first house.  We've played many many games of cards together.  We've gone on countless numbers of walks in the evening after Bert got off of work.  We went on an amazing honeymoon to Jamaica.  Bert asked me the other day if I would ever want to go on another Sandles trip (like we did on our honeymoon)....I looked at him like he was crazy for asking and told him I would leave tomorrow!!!   We've taken two trips to the ER....one for each child.  One when Emily was 10 months old for a crazy virus and one when Hannah was 6 weeks old for a horrible eye infection (H was admitted, E was not).  So many low key evenings of just sitting on the couch talking or watching TV....my favorite!  We had a small kitchen fire (all my fault....there will be a blog about this soon b/c I want this traumatic event to be recorded in the blog book, and it happened before I started blogging!) We've had many sleepless nights with two newborns.  Bert was always quick to help me with the girls in the middle of the night....even if he had to go to work the next morning.  We traded in our car for a van...good move.  We became very familiar with the stretch of I-85 between Durham, NC and Atlanta, GA. We've cheered and cheered together as Emily learned to take her first steps, as Hannah learned to crawl, as Emily learned to go to the potty and as Hannah learned to say "Mama" and "Dada".  It's been such a good 5 years.  I'm so thankful to be doing life with you, Bert!  I love you!

2 comments:

  1. So happy God blessed you with each other - you make a wonderful team :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is so sweet when you are married to your best friend! I am so happy God has blessed you two with 5 years full of memories! Thank you for sharing some of them with us. I pray you are blessed with many more! Happy Anniversary Bert and Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete