Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Bert's 35th

We started off Bert's birthday celebrations in Toccoa on Friday (the day after Thanksgiving).  Everyone that had been there for Thanksgiving came back over and we pulled out all the leftovers and enjoyed a mud cake that mom had made for his birthday.  


He had plenty of help blowing out his candles.  


On Monday after school I had the girls make some cards for their Daddy. 


Emily had been wanting to make some "treats" from her Easy Bake oven to celebrate her Daddy's birthday so we made those Monday afternoon too.  Emily was the directions reader and she had her helpers stirring the mix, etc.  


We had a couple smaller things for Bert, but his big gift (gift was from Mimi and Papa, me and girls) were some side steps for his truck.  So on Tuesday after I picked Claire up from school we drove the 30 minutes to pick them up.  I had talked to these people on the phone several times the day before and they were probably chuckling about my lack of knowledge about what I was ordering.  Whatever.  

We had to wait about 45 minutes and these girls had a blast in the store.  I wasn't too worried about them hurting anything, but there were some big parts that I didn't want them to get hurt on, so I literally chased them around the store making sure that that didn't pull anything over on themselves.  At one point Claire stopped, pulled Abby beside her and said "take our picture."  So I did.  They smile better when the picture is their idea. Ha! 


I had worked so hard to keep the side steps a surprise and we were going to give them to him at his family party on Tuesday night, but after the guy from the truck store wedged them into my van (all the way down the length of the van) I realized that I literally couldn't get them out by myself.  They were too heavy.  And it would have been fine to leave them in there except Emily and Hannah couldn't get to their seats and we had to pick them up from school in a couple hours....so, I had to call him on the phone and tell him about the sidesteps and then ask him to help me get them out of the van so I could go pick up the girls. That afternoon, after he got off of work he put them on by himself in no time.  So glad he liked them because there were more options that I realized when I first had the bright idea to get these for him.  

On Tuesday night we celebrated with Taco Soup (which Bert really likes), and Key Lime Cake made by a lady in our church who just loves loving on our family.  She asked me on Sunday if she could make a cake for Bert's birthday and I told her we would all love that.  Her Key Lime Cakes are famous around our church, and for good reason.  We enjoyed every bite!  


After cake it was present time.  Notice Abby's high heels.  Funny girl!  



Happy 35th birthday, Bert!  You're a great dad and an amazing husband and we love you so much!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment